"Keep your eyes sharp. The wind isn't the only thing that howls in this swamp."
—Tokk, about Howl
Howl, also known as the Howler by the Moki, was a giant wolf-like monster encountered in Ori and the Will of the Wisps. A ferocious monster, Howl resided in their den, near the Inkwater Marsh and spent their time prowling the forest of Niwen at night, hunting prey like Ori and the Moki. Howl is shown to possess a fear of fire and light in general, and was feared by the Moki.
Biography[edit | edit source]
At some point whilst prowling the darkened forest of Niwen, Howl spotted Ori as they ventured through the Inkwater Marsh and pursued them through the woods. Howl stalked them as they moved onwards, eventually catching up to the spirit, letting out a great roar when they neared their quarry, frightening Ori and prompting them to flee.
Howl gave chase, eventually closing in on Ori before being beaten back by Ori through use of a torch they grabbed, though a single strike was enough to deter them. Ori ultimately engaged Howl and bested them with their makeshift weapon, burning Howl with the torch enough to cause the beast to give up on its hunt and flee, leaving a fang behind.
Death[edit | edit source]
Sometime after their defeat by Ori, Howl, for unknown reasons, ventured into the Silent Woods, domain of Shriek. Letting out one of their famous howls, attracting the attention of Shriek, who flew off to investigate the source of the noise.
Whether caused directly by Shriek or simply the Decay which overran that area of Niwen, Howl ultimately met their permanent end in the woods, their body petrified, and encased in stone.
Attacks and Abilities[edit | edit source]
The following is a list of all attacks displayed by Howl during the boss fight against them;
- Bite: Howl opens their jaw wide and moves their hard forwards before snapping them shut.
- Swipe: Howl will raise their right paw far above their head, before slashing it down on the ground in front of them.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
Fend off Howl
Walkthrough Video[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is possible that "Howl" is the name of the species of the boss, while "The Howler" is the name of the boss itself, as no Moki refers to the boss as Howl, only "The Howler", while items from the boss like Howl Fang are referred to as "Howl".
- In an early story draft, there was a cinematic showing Shriek turn Howl to stone. However, this aspect of Shriek’s character became less important over time, to the point that Moon Studios felt it was better to leave it up to the player’s imagination. Because of this, Howl may have been turned to stone by Shriek or simply met his fate in the tarpits of the Silent Woods.
- Internal references to Howl as well as The Art of Ori and the Will of the Wisps use the term Nightcrawler to refer to it.
References[edit | edit source]
- In early story drafts, we had specified Shriek being inextricably linked to decay...
- The Art of Ori and the Will of the Wisps, page 72