"But there's something else, a foul presence nearby. There, can't you smell it?"
Biography[edit | edit source]
Polluting Niwen's Water[edit | edit source]
At some point following the death of the Spirit Willow and the Decay's arrival in the Forest of Niwen, the Foul Presence took its residence in the watermill. In doing so, it seized the mechanical components of the mill, subsequently stopping all water flow between the Luma Pools and The Wellspring, causing much of Niwen's waters to become polluted as a result.
Eventually, the spirit Ori arrived in at the top of the Wellspring and entered the Foul Presence's chamber above the library. As Ori approached the last mechanism, it lashed out and seized Ori in one of its tentacles. Thanks to the timely intervention of Opher however, Ori would escape its grasp, and the duo fled the watermill, with the Foul Presence giving chase in an attempt to kill them both, indirectly releasing the last mechanisms of the Wellspring in the process.
Despite its best efforts however, it failed to kill either of them, and eventually swam away from the area, as the forest's waters finally flowed clear and pure again.
Death[edit | edit source]
Some time after leaving the Wellspring, the Foul Presence arrived in the Luma Pools, discovering the marsh gaurdian Kwolok during the latters search for the Strength of the Forest. The Foul Presence hijacked the great toad's mind, seizing control like a puppet master. Eventually Ori arrived to Kwolok's location, and after having the toad swallow the Forest's Strength, the duo chased Ori deeper into the pools, eventually cornerening them and engaging in battle.
Ori ultimately overcame Kwolok and the puppeteer, prompting it to briefly flee to another area of the Luma Pools, still clutching Kwolok. However, Kwolok managed to briefly regain control of himself, and successfully pin the monster down, before crushing it under his foot, ending the threat of it for good.
Attacks and Abilities[edit | edit source]
The following is a list of all attacks and abilities the Foul Presence displays;
- Tentacle Lash: The Foul Presence will thrust one of its tentacles into the ground before the end bursts out of the ground or a wall, depending on Ori's position.
- Mindjacking: The Foul Presence has the capacity to corrupt and take over other beings, causing them to act differently than they normally would. This is best demonstrated when it seized control of Kwolok, and forced him to try and kill Ori.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- While it is referred to as Foul Presence by characters like Opher, the game credits lists its name as "Stink Spirit". A number of people have interpreted this to be supposed evidence that its real name is "Stink Spirit" instead of "Foul Presence", despite the fact that every language the game is available in uses some form of "Foul Presence".
- When conversing with Kwolok early in Luma Pools, the guardian will mention that he smells "a familiar stench", referring to the Foul Presence.
- Opher commonly refers to it as a Foul Presence, implying there may be other presences of this nature.
References[edit | edit source]
- Localization file dump of Opher's quote. All terms use some form of "Foul Presence". The term "Spirit" never shows once.
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps credits, under the "Voice Talent" category.
- The file name of the applicable artwork contains this term.